INGREDIENTS: yield: 4 note: read below for gourmet mashed potato directions
– 4 beef filet’s, thawed
– 2 large portobella mushrooms, chopped
– dijon mustard, for brushing meat
– 2 egg yolks, beaten with a tbsp. of water, for eggwash
– puff pastry sheets (if frozen, thawed)
– 8 slices of porsciutto
– salt and pepper, to taste
MASHED POTATO SIDE:
– 3-4 sliced potatoes, cut in good sized chunks
– salt and pepper, to taste
– 4 pinches thyme
– 4 basil leaves, chopped (optional: for garnish)
– milk, for the mashed potatoes.
1) Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees farenheit. 2) Take off the stems on the mushrooms. Break the mushrooms into small pieces, so that you are able to cut them with the food chopper. Once both mushrooms are fairly chopped, put them in a food processer. Now puree it. Leave small chunks if you would like more mushroom taste. Heat a sauce pan on high. Put your mushroom puree into the pan, and constantly stir, until any mushroom liquid is evaporated. Once completely evaporated, set aside. 3) Now, get another sauce pan, and pour a little olive oil in it. Medium heat is a good temperature to use. Take your beef, and pan seer it until each side is browned. Do not cook it completely! The rest will cook perfectly in the oven. Let it cool, and set aside for now. 4)Now, take 2 pieces of porsciutto. Overlap them on top of each other. Its time for your mushroom mixture now. Using a basting brush, dip the mushroom puree onto the baster and brush the mushroom mix onto the porsciutto. Do this for each filet. Clean your baster with just water, because you need it right now. Apply some dijon mustard to your baster. Grab your meat, and baste the mustard on all sides of the filets’. Once done basting the beef, place the meat into the middle of the porsciutto. Wrap the porsciutto around the beef. 5) Now, its time for the puff pastry. It should be well thawed. Get a rolling pin, and spread the pastry dough out on a lightly floured surface. When you finish this step, place the meat in the center of the dough and gently wrap the puff pastry around the meat. Repeat for the other filets. 6) Crack 2 eggs, and only keep the yolk. Place the yolks in a bowl. Add a tbsp. of fresh cold water in with the eggs and beat throughly. Egg wash the Wellingtons’. 7) Get an oven-safe pan, and cover with aluminum foil. Place the Wellingtons’ on the pan and cook for 35-37 minutes at 400 degrees. Let it cook. While it is cooking,though, you need to make the mashed potatoes! Follow the directions below on how to make this gourmet side to your Beef Wellington.
MASHED POTATO DIRECTIONS:
1) Fill a pot with water, and place over to stove on medium or high heat. Let it boil. 2) While the water begins to boil, start peeling you potatoes. When all the potatoes are peeled, slice over a cutting board into good sized chunks. If the water is boiling, carefully insert the cut potatoes. Your potatoes are done boiling when you are able to easily cut straight through them without any problems. 3) Drain the water from the pot very carefully. 4) Get a medium sized mixing bowl. With you potatoes well drained, put them in the bowl. Now start to mash them using a potato masher or a large fork or spoon. Now this is a kind of guess and tell part. Add in a little milk then mash again. If it is still very firm and hard to mash add more milk and repeat until its the desired consistency, or until creamy and smooth. Add salt and pepper. Then put in the thyme. 5) The Beef Wellingtons should be done now. Plate the Wellington and mashed potato. Garnish the potatoes with chopped fresh basil and serve. Enjoy!