-1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
– 1 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
– 2 eggs
– 2-3 tablespoons vegetable or sunflower oil
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons red food dye
– red sprinkles or chocolate sprinkles (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350′. Line a cupcake tin with liners. Lightly douse the lines with baking spray, just to make sure they don’t stick.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix until well combined.
3. Add wet ingredients to the dry: eggs, vanilla extract, oil, milk/buttermilk, and red food dye. Mix until everything is well combined. I always use my electronic mixer (KitchenAid), but you can do this just as well by hand.
TIP: Add more a bit more red food dye than you want, these tend to bake darker than what you might be going for.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full with batter. Bake in the oven at 350′ for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
6. Frost with my vanilla cream cheese based frosting or with one of your own. Top with red colored or chocolate sprinkles (optional). Enjoy!!